This new 7” single release is a musical cooperation between The Ex and the Ethiopian acoustic band Fendika. The Ex has a long history with Ethiopian music and has worked together with Fendika for 6 years on many European and American festivals and also in Ethiopia. Slowly they've grown closer and the result is stunnning: the typical Ex rhythms and riffs, combined with traditional instruments (one string masinko, kobero drums) and the great voice of singer Nardos.
“Addis Hum” is based on “Gue”, a traditional Ethiopian Gurage song.
“Lale Guma” is a song by Ayalew Mesfin and the Fetan Band. “Shellelle” is a traditional war cry. Both are chants which narrate the battles and account for the heroes, sung to boost confidence and inspiration.
- Terrie Hessels - guitar
- Andy Moor - guitar, baritone guitar
- Katherina Bornefeld - drums, vocals
- Arnold de Boer - guitar, vocals
- Endris Hassen - masinko
- Misale Legesse - kobero
- Nardos Terfaw - vocals
- Melaku Belay - dance
- Zenash Tsegaye - dance
- Recorded at the Next To Jaap Studio, Voorhout (NL) by Corno Zwetsloot and Gavin McDowall on June 16, 2014.
- Mixed at the Next To Jaap Studio, Voorhout (NL) by Corno Zwetsloot and The Ex on September 18, 19 and 23, 2014.
- Mastered at home by Arnold and Andy on February 5, 2015.
- Cover design: Emma Fischer.
- Photos: Matias Corral.
- Label photos: Andy.
- Distribution: Konkurrent.
Digital album available from Bandcamp.
LALE GUMA / ADDIS HUM by The Ex + Fendika
- Label: Ex Records
- Catalogue #: EX 140
- Availability: In Stock