In memory of Bahru Kegne (1929-2000), Ethiopia’s greatest azmari. The cassette years 1988-1996.
Bahru Kegne was a legendary azmari, who was even a private court-player under Haile Selassie, then the ‘free newspaper’ in the communist days and recording some amazing ‘modern’ cassettes in the last years of his life. Deep, hypnotic, trance-like music, and unlike things published before.
- Bahru Kegne - masinko, vocals
- Yared Tefera - saxophone
- Berhane Kidane - keyboard
- Abijou Solomon - bass guitar
- Sela Beyligne (6:25)
- Ambassel (6:39)
- Ye Gebere Leza (7:42)
- Tezetaye (6:10)
- Endet New Gedawo (4:36)
- Bati (5:53)
- Mela Mela (6:42)
- Tew Tew (5:59)
- Derbabaye (6:23)
- Shemounmoun (4:57)
- Yehuna (7:10)
- Tenayewa (9:41)
- Music and text: Bahru Kegne.
- Additional music and text arrangements: Abebe Melesse and Yilma Gebreab.
- Released and licenced in agreement with Bahru’s children Teshager, Meseret and Negat.
- Interviews: Emma Fischer, Getatchew Debalke, Zerihun Engidashet and Henok Ashager.
- Translation lyrics: Prof. Dr. Hailu Habtu.
- Translation interviews: Zerihun Engidashet and Simeneh Betreyohannes.
- Artwork and layout: Emma Fischer.
- Bahru Kegne photos: family collection.
- Youtube stills, Ethiopia photos: Emma Fischer.
IN MEMORY OF by Bahru Kegne
- Label: Terp Records
- Catalogue #: AS-23
- Availability: In Stock